The following resources have been developed to further explain or assist with the overall PIP Process.
- PIP Matrix: The PIP Matrix document is in a standard format developed by the Children’s Bureau and designed to assist States in preparing PIPs for submission to the Children’s Bureau Regional Office. While it was developed to facilitate ease of review, approval, and tracking of State PIPs, it is not mandatory and States may choose to use a different format. However, all PIPs must include the information required by regulation at 45 CFR 1355.35. The PIP Matrix is available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/cb/pip_instruct.pdf.
- Procedures Manual: The Child and Family Services Reviews Procedures Manual offers an overview of the purpose and structure of the reviews, as well as detailed information on planning for and conducting the reviews. The manual also discusses the Final Report and the PIP process. It is designed to assist Children’s Bureau staff and State child welfare agencies in planning for, and participating in, a CFSR. State agency administrators are strongly encouraged to share the manual with agency staff who will play active roles in the State’s CFSR, including Local Site Coordinators. The Procedures Manual is available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/cfsr-procedures-manual.
- Program Improvement Plan Annual/Quarterly Status Report Form: This form is designed to be used by Children's Bureau Regional Office staff to evaluate PIP progress for States that are not using the new matrix in developing their PIPs. For States that are using the new matrix, Regional Offices should use the new matrix to evaluate State PIPs. The new matrix is available through Information Memorandum 07-08, which is available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/im0708.
- Technical Bulletin (TB) #3: This Technical Bulletin (amended) pertains to the Children’s Bureau’s approach to determining and approving degrees of improvement and attainment of goals for PIPs during Round 2 of the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs). It is available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/cfsr-amended-technical-bulletin-3.
- Technical Bulletin (TB) #4: This Technical Bulletin contains updated general instructions for PIP monitoring, evaluation, and renegotiation. It includes technical information for States and Children's Bureau Regional Offices about monitoring, reporting, and using a matrix spreadsheet for PIP submissions. It is available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/cfsr-technical-bulletin-4.
In addition, the Children’s Bureau has released a number of Information Memoranda (IMs) that speak to the PIP process. These IMs include:
- IM 09-01: Measuring Round One Program Improvement Plan (PIP) Improvement for Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs) Using Round Two Revised National Standards. This IM provides guidance on measuring Round 1 PIP improvement for the CFSRs using Round 2 revised national standards. Available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/im0901
- IM 07-05: Measuring Program Improvement Plan (PIP) Improvement for the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs) National Standards. This IM provides information on measuring PIP improvement for the CFSR national standards. Available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/im0705.
- IM-02-04: Guidance and Suggested Format for Program Improvement Plans in Child and Family Services Reviews. This IM provides guidance and a suggested format for PIPs. Available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/im0204.
- IM-01-07: Updated National Standards for the Child and Family Services Reviews and Guidance on Program Improvement Plans. This IM provides information and guidance for use by States and Regional Offices on updated national standards as well as guidance on PIPs. Available for download at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/im0107.