Welcome to the CFSR Online Training for States. This online training is designed to provide state review teams, partners, and stakeholders with information relevant to the onsite reviews for Round 3 of the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs). To download additional tools, instruments, and other materials related to Round 3, please visit the Round 3 Resources page.
The following content is currently available as part of the Online Training for States:
- CFSR Overview — This page provides an overview of the Child and Family Services Reviews (CFSRs), which are periodic reviews of state child welfare systems conducted by the Children's Bureau in partnership with states.
- OSRI Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) — The Frequently Asked Questions page provides answers from the Children’s Bureau to questions submitted by registered users of the CFSR Information Portal regarding the Onsite Review Instrument and Instructions (OSRI) and mock cases available for practice on the E-Training Platform.
- Online Monitoring System — The Online Monitoring System, or OMS, is a Web-based online application consisting of the OSRI, the Stakeholder Interview Guide, and various reporting tools. It is used for both Traditional Reviews and State Conducted Case Reviews. States also can use it for their own continuous quality improvement (CQI) purposes and can use a version of the OMS for training and practice purposes. The module contains information regarding the three purposes of the OMS—training, CQI, and CFSR—and forms for providing JBS information about a state’s users.
Modules 1–3 of the Online Training for States consist of three topical modules designed to provide states important information about the OSRI and the opportunity to practice case reviews using mock cases. These modules are intended to be completed sequentially as one self-contained training series.
- Module 1: The OSRI — In addition to a downloadable copy of the OSRI, this module contains a series of seven videos that provide an overview of the instrument, its layout, and key elements for each of its outcomes. The module also contains a video that provides an overview of the quality assurance (QA) process used to ensure accurate completion of the OSRI.
- Module 2: Foster Care Mock Case — This module contains a complete foster care mock case that can be used to practice applying the OSRI. Users may find it useful to download and complete the OSRI so that they can record how they would rate and document their findings in the case. The module also contains a downloadable answer key for the mock case, so individuals may check their own work, and a video series that provides detailed explanations for arriving at these answers.
- Module 3: In-Home Services Mock Case — This module contains a complete in-home services mock case that can be used to practice applying the instrument. Users may find it useful to download and complete the instrument so that they can record how they would rate and document their findings in the case. The module also contains a series of videos that provide detailed information on planning for and conducting case-related interviews, using the Case Related Interview Guides and Instructions, and incorporating information obtained from case-related interviews into review findings.
Module 4 of the Online Training for States provides an additional opportunity for practicing a case review using a mock case. It can be used as a standalone module or as a follow-up training for users who have completed Modules 1–3, or it can replace Module 2 in the series described above.
- Module 4: Foster Care Mock Case II — This module contains a second complete foster care mock case that can be used to practice applying the OSRI. Users may find it useful to download and complete the instrument so that they can record how they would rate and document their findings in the case. The module also contains an interactive video depicting a mock case-related interview that allows users, at critical points in the interview, to select the best or most appropriate follow-up question from a variety of options and receive immediate feedback on their selection.
To begin, please click the title of the module that you would like to access.